Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Woody - Be Quiet!

I am sitting here on the couch at 6am. Quiet, coffee and News Channel 4 my only cares in the world. You all know how I treasure MY hour.  The sweet silence is shattered by the machine gun fire sound of our resident woodpecker who has fallen in love with our chimney.  He is clearly not a bright bird.  He pecks on the metal box that comes out of the chimney top.  It's a startling noise that took me a year to identify.  I first blamed my neighbor who has a vast array of tools.  I assumed he had a rivet gun and something that needed to be riveted.

I finally moseyed over to his yard upon hearing the noise one day and realized he was not home.  Clearly not the culprit.  I made my way back to the yard and saw him.  A black bird with a red head.  Sitting on top of the chimney, not a care in the world.  He raised his beak and began to peck. *pppptttthhhhhhhhhhh*  *pppttthhhhhhhhhh*  *pppppttthhhhhhhh*  I stood there with my mouth a gape realizing this cute little bird was my unwanted alarm clock.

It has been 6 years and every spring he shows up.  We assume assume in search of a birdie bride.  The dude is lucky I grew up on a farm.  I understand that we moved into their space.  I wish him no harm.  I just wish he wasn't such an early riser.

No comments:

Post a Comment